Universal Audio Apollo Twin Thunderbolt Interface Review
Universal Audio Apollo Twin Thunderbolt
Universal Audio Apollo Twin Thunderbolt is today`s mark is going to be stretched across another great audio interface. One of the key hardware elements for any home or professional studio. A flagship product of UAD, holds remarkable ratings among pros and it`s no surprise at all. The next generation interface really did give everything the guys from UAD promised. But, does this statement refers to all of its users? Stay with us in the next lines to find out.
The Technology Behind A Great Name
Also known as Apollo Twin MKII, this analog converter offers a lot behind its latest technology build. Two mic pre-amps, A/D and D/A conversion, the new name also bears brand new features like built-in Talkback mic for easy access communication.
New monitor control options in Universal Audio Apollo Twin include MUTE, DIM, MONO and ALT.
The Plugin Bundle Bonus [Universal Audio Apollo Twin]
And that`s just the beginning of UAD`s gifts. As a bonus package, users get not, one, not two, but 10 UAD2 Plugins. Needed to sculpt that analog sound from the legendary UAD pre-amps. Universal Audio Apollo Twin Plugins come from the one of the most respected virtual consoles family on the market. The bundle includes:
- UA 610-B
- UA 1176LN Legacy
- Marshall Plexi Classic
- UA 1176SE Legacy
- Precision Channel Strip (Precision Mix Rack Collection)
- Precision Reflection Engine (Precision Mix Rack Collection)
- Pultec-Pro Legacy
- Precision Delay Mod (Precision Mix Rack Collection)
- Precision Delay Mod L (Precision Mix Rack Collection)
- Pultec EQP-1A Legacy
- Teletronix LA-2A Legacy
- Raw Distortion
- RealVerb Pro
- Softube Bass Amp Room 8×10 (from Softube Amp Room Essentials)
One of the most important low latency technology that deeply shades all other connectivity choices like USB or FireWire. And all that with a single cable ability. You can run multiple track projects with almost zero latency. Including recording via UAD plugins in real time with less than 2ms! That`s Universal Audio Apollo Twin ` s biggest superpower.
The I/O Interface
As for the Universal Audio Apollo Twin I/O interface, we already mentioned the pair of Unison MIC/LINE inputs. Besides that, Apollo Twin MKII comes with optical input, four analog OUTS and hi quality Headphone output. So its automatically suitable for all. Meaning home, pro producers and Djs, as well as all the other types of musicians. There is also an Power On/Off button which is a huge plus and a 12 V DC in for main power supply. The Thunderbolt port is just above it.
Universal Audio Apollo Twin MK II Features
- Thunderbolt audio interface for Mac with two analog inputs, four analog outputs, and eight channels of ADAT input
- Sounds amazing, with next-generation AD/DA for maximum fidelity
- Use outstanding UAD Powered Plug-ins for tracking and mixdown
- Preamps sound pristine, and Unison technology gives you spot-on emulations of classic preamps
- Includes Realtime Analog Classics plug-in bundle with accurate emulations of vintage analog hardware
- Thunderbolt gives you ultra-low latency and huge bandwidth for higher sample rates and track counts
- Compact design makes it perfect for mobile recording, mixing outside of your studio, and even performing live
- Hands-on control over your monitor outputs
- Cascade up to 4 Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo interfaces and 6 total UAD devices
- Free Thunderbolt cable included
Universal Audio Apollo Twin – The Software
Now, when it comes down to its software Universal Audio Apollo Twin comes equipped with slick UA Console 2.0 app. The Realtime UAD-2 Processing makes you pick between UAD-2 QUAD, DUO and SOLO modes of Core processing. Which is just another in a long line of great features Apollo Twin offers.
It`s available for both Windows and Mac OS. So it`s a real treat for every artist/producer. Below, we attached a short video review of the software to make you feel more comfortable with the inside works of Universal Audio Apollo Twin.
Apollo`s Pros And Cons
- warm, clear sound
- learning curve
- great quality plugins
- the MONO button
- powerful pre-amps
- Hi-Z input
- great software
- excellent in live performance
- firm built
- overheating issues
- can`t use sidechain on tracks that have UAD plugins
- the price
- no USB-C port
- connectivity issues with Pro Tools
It is always a good thing when UA drops something new. They are the no.1 company in audio equipment production. And they are doing more that great job at it. And as you can see from the above section, there are really not that much Cons as oppose to variety of great Pros users left us. The overall product picture looks, sounds and feels different. Different in a way that is nourishes a pristine sonic sound, wide image and clear frequencies. Therefore, Universal Audio Apollo Twin is your secure audio interface choice. If you have the budget to afford it. It`s price tag currently goes around $700.
Its price is going quite well, riding down the market stream. The initial price has dropped a few steps down, making this little portable studio machine even more accessible then ever. If interested in more similar reviews like we did with the Universal Audio Apollo Twin here, check out another of our great audio interface reviews here. Happy recording!