Software For Editing Audio (Free)
As much as this topic is wide enough to swallow the whole planet in one bite regarding its knowledgeable complexity, it is also quite easy to get a hold on. Well, easy or easier will eventually be your final choice of words, but when talking Hip Hop, the one thing we all can agree upon is, it`s blood and air-like necessity. Only a day younger, our next family tie regarding Hip Hop music production is free audio editing software.
Understanding Your Sound Waves
Free Audio Editing Software
Whether you`re a Dj, singer/songstress, rapper or a producer, audio editing is something like your third hand. Or eye. Or better, ear. You get the point. Nevertheless, it`s useful to mention that editing through alteration of speed, length and volume of the sound is the sore definition of your producer role. Stay with me on the next couple of frisky chapters and find your best tool of “Free Audio Editing Software”.
You will find it on every possible site about free audio editing software, Audacity is one of the best among them for the job. At first, it may seem like you`ll need superpowers to get used to it. But Audacity is nothing but complex. Simple to handle, but doesn`t mean it lacks in option offers. It is full of great additions, and latest version gives new features like:
- Audacity 2.1.3 fully supports Windows 10 (thanks to an upgrade of the PortAudio library) and on MacOS has some previously missing support for Magic Mouse/Trackpad (thanks to Paul Licameli).
- New Distortion effect, Rhythm Track (was called Click Track) and Sample Data Import (thanks to Steve Daulton). Also effects are no longer grayed-out when in pause.
- New scrub ruler and ‘pinned’ option so the waveform moves and the recording/playing head stays still. (Paul)
- New features in Timer Record (Mark Young & Steve)
- On Mac, audacity.app is now added to /Applications/ directly rather than adding a folder there.
- 64 bugs/annoyances in 2.1.2 fixed of which 15 were long-standing issues. Also lots done (Paul again) to systematically deal with memory leaks.
This complete video tutorial will let you in on the basics:
Get it without hesitation. Download link.
Easy, fast and powerful. That`s how its team of creators describe it. And judging from the user point, it is a bit easier to overmaster. And also lighter on the feature characteristics too. But turns out it can be very helpful in providing the fundamental editing actions.
The latest version is “3.2.13” with lead features like:
- VST plugins support
- Real-time preview of the effects
- Cross-platform support
- Multi-selection for delicate editions
- Efficient editing of large files
- Fully featured spectrogram
Watch the tutorial here:
And get it here: download link.
Acoustica (Basic Edition)
From “Acon Digital” comes another very useful free audio editing software. Although slightly bounded by a few extra option cuts if full version, its basic edition still manages to aid in handling your audio right. Latest version wears number 7 on its name, and this free edition will watch your six. 😉
- clean interface
- effect chain
- FFT analyzer (spectrum analyzer)
- level/volume meter
- record audio signal from a connected device
- audio plugins support
- cut and paste, zoom-in functions
Watch the demo below:
FAEMedia Free Audio Editor
This free audio editor was literally named “Free Audio Editor”. And as simple as that, it offers an easy-to-go-around atmosphere for your great workflow rhythm. Available for Windows and Mac, Free possesses features like:
- record any sounds coming from mic or external devices
- visual editing (cut, copy, paste, delete, trim, mute etc.)
- various effects and filters
- supporting wide range of audio formats
Peep the short video tutorial here:
Austrian company “NCH Software” creates and shares a fully feature equipped free audio editing software they named “WavePad”. It`s a professional program, and delivers some pretty great alternatives for your desires.
Best features include:
- Sound editing tools include cut, copy, paste, delete, insert, silence, auto-trim, compression, pitch shifting and more
- Audio effects include amplify, normalize, equalizer, envelope, reverb, echo, reverse and many more
- DirectX and Virtual Studio Technology DLL (VST) plugin support gives producers access to thousands of additional tools and effects
- Supports almost all audio and music file formats including mp3, wav, vox, gsm, wma, au, aif, flac, real audio, ogg, aac, m4a, mid, amr, and many more
- Batch processing allows you to apply effects and/or convert thousands of files as a single function
- Scrub, search and bookmark audio for precise editing
- Create bookmarks and regions to easily find, recall and assemble segments of long audio files
- Tools include spectral analysis (FFT), speech synthesis (text-to-speech), and voice changer
- Audio restoration features including noise reduction and click pop removal
- Supports sample rates from 6 to 192kHz, stereo or mono, 8, 16, 24 or 32 bits
- Edit the audio from your video files
- Works directly with MixPad Multi-Track Audio Mixer
- Easy to use interface will have you utilizing non-destructive audio editing in minutes
The “NCH” team gives a nice intro video to check out here:
And if they intrigued you enough here`s the download link.
Next in line within our “free audio editing software” is application called “Wavosaur”. Is this the Dinosaur among audio editing gems? Well, not so much, your mind will not explode, but your skills could benefit decently.
- Multiple Document Interface for working with many files in one session
- All classic editing functions : cut, copy, paste, paste mix, paste replace/insert, paste to new file, trim/crop, delete, undo
- Many processing options: mute, channel convert (stereo->mono, mono->stereo), insert silence, change volume, normalize level, fade in/out, invert/flip, undo
- Accurate waveform representation, fast zoom in/out, clean easy to use interface Right mouse to scroll/display context menu
- Skinable editor look
- Resample, bit-depth convert (8,16,24,32 bits), pitch shift, vocal removal, DC offset removing, auto-trim, silence remover, interpolate, auto detect region, crossfade loop, exporting multiple wav file from regions
- Wavosaur can import, save and edit loop points & markers informations in wav files. Snap to zero-crossing
- Batch processing : apply process/effect/VST effects to an entire folder
- Export files as text for using in software such as Matlab, Excel or PSpice
Watch the three-part tutorial here:
Click out to download it now.
Another great solution is an online audio editor or online DAW as the Pro`s call it. “Soundation” rates pretty high in its category. It`s powerful, stacked with lots of features, giving the next:
- attractive interface
- easy to use
- change the color of the tracks
- time stretching
- various effects and plugins supported
- looping feature similar to Logic Pro`s
It`s a plus if you into arranging music too, because it`s the only editor in here in which you can do both.
Watch how you can approach it from our angle of genre view:
Put On Your Editing Gloves And Dissect Away
So, this is it. It`s not much, and the number really isn`t a matter of cause here. It`s the one and only thing everything in music production and art in all is based on. And we in Hip Hop world certainly wouldn`t want to swim anywhere outside of that border. And not to mention no one likes that.
So, like I said, or wrote, read it again, number don`t matter. Less is ALWAYS more. These carefully picked audio editing software sources will do much more than just help you with your artflow. Yes, I said it, artflow. New slang word alert! 🙂 Ok, jokes aside, I really propose you try all of them all if you are serious with your audio file transformations.
You may already work with some of them and get pretty much used to their timeless features. And it`s not always so comfortable to switch from one software to another. But you never know what lesson you can extract out of different program experience.
Especially when they are all exposed on a market for free. So, at I titled upstairs, get your gloves on and enter the operation room properly. Stay in sync as we bring more of the hot free software stuff. And don`t forget to read our previous article on “Best Free Mastering Software” before you jump on to this one. Wave out!