Best Electric Guitar Strings For Beginners (Play With Style)
The Best Guitar Strings, Top Picks
When rockin` your jams with electric guitars, ther`s no thing more important then having quality string under your playing fingers. That`s why today we bring you a review of the “Best Electric Guitar Strings” on the market.
Why Are Good Strings So Important
The quality of your strings bares high importance because the better the matterial they are made of, the better sound you get. And it`s not just the tone that will decide your music style of play. It`s the durability factor too. And also the way you are going to perform. Most important division is by their thickness. Also known as gauge. And the sizes vary from .008 inches aka “the eight” and the .56 (“fifty-six”). That`s how musicians call them.
Main Difference Between Light And Heavy Strings
Now, most of you musicians already know this as the back of their hands, but it`s important to clarify for the rest of them readers. There are couple of things that separate light strings from the heavy ones. So to righteously pick your best electric guitar strings, you need to hold on to the essentials.
- easy to play
- cause less tension on the guitar neck that`s why they are best choice for vintage models
but, they have their disadvantages, like
- they break eaily
- produce less volume and sustain
heavy gauge strings
- harder to play
- require more finger preassure
- bring more tension to guitar`s neck
but are also
- higher in volume and sustain
Typical String Gauge Ranges
Here is the basic range setup, manufactures keep to distinguish the guitar strings:
- “extra super light”: .008 .010 .015 .021 .030 .038
- “super light”: .009 .011 .016 .024 .032 .042
- “light”: .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046
- “medium”: .011 .015 .018 .026 .036 .050
- “heavy”: .012 .016 .020 .032 .042 .054
Other Helpful Facts For Your Best Pick
Now, as for more details on how to pick the right or just the best electric guitar strings for your desired instrument, there`s a few more things to consider. First, your music genre therefore style of play. What does this exactly means? Well, it`s simple really. If you are a Metal musician you`ll need some heavier strings to use those detuned scales. Blues and classic Rock guitarists use medium-gauge strings for richer and darker tone.
But if you are a complete beginner or some sort of that type, then it`s probably a good thing to chose light-gauged strings. Or even the super-lighted ones as your pick for the best electric guitar strings. And only after your fingers get used to the pickings and develop a good resistance to the string pressure, you can move up to the heavier string models.
Other factors include frequency of your play, the sound and the tone you prefer.
And the best way to find your best electric guitar strings is by testing. There is really no other reasonable way. Listen to your ears and feel your finger`s needs.
Now as for the string durability, it highly depends on the material a string is made of. All electric guitars have one mutual build element. And that is metal of course. That`s usually steel, nickel or chrome. But there are other metal blend that makes the body of the string.
Best Electric Guitar String Types
- nickel-plated steel – main feature – warmness, very bright
- pure nickel – less bright then nickel-plated
- stainless steel – crisp tone and anti-corrosive
- chrome – warm, less resonant (best suited for Jazz and Blues musicians)
- titanium – best in strength with less brightness
- cobalt – wide dynamic range
- polymer-coated – little sustain, anti-corrosive
- color-coated – varies in tonality
Another important feature when getting your best electric guitar strings is winding. Some of them are not, but most of the strings are tightly wrapped by winding wire at their cores. Why this approach? Because it`s another factor that determines the final tone of the string and an overall sound of the guitar. They also affect the attack, sustain, picking and fretboard wear. There are three types of winding:
- roundwound (more sustain and attack)
- halfround or groundround (less attack, darker tone)
- flatwound (flat, dark tone, suitable for Jazz)
Best Electric Guitar Strings
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Nickel Wound Set
Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Set (Best Quality)
Fender Super Bullets
Fender Original Bullets
GHS Guitar Boomers Nickel-Plated
Dunlop Heavy Core
D’Addario Nickel Wound Nashville High Strung Strings
Optima Gold Brian May Signature
Jim Dunlop Rev Willy’s Electric Strings
DR Neon Multi-Color
Gibson Brite Wires
Thomastik-Infeld JS112 Swing Series
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Nickel Wound Sets Electric Guitar Strings
As the best rated with best quality material, the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Nickel Wound Set must be described in couple of more words. Additional features are highly rated and put in the best electric guitar strings category because of the following Pros:
- thin-plated high carbon steel hex wire giving excellent durrability
- lock twists eliminates the slippery factor
- the nickel-plated wound cords give balanced tone and intonation
- great for bending and harmonics
- low price
Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Wound Set
- tin plated high carbon steel hex wire that provides top-notch durability
- series of lock twists for securing the wire around the ball end
- balanced tone and intonation
- bright sound
- easy bending
- good for all types of music
- great price
There you have it. Your Best Electric Guitar Strings are packed and ready to be delivered directly to your playing hands. Or more better your plucking fingers. No doubt, Ernie Bell, USA`s leader guitar strings manufacturer still holds the throne.
So you won`t go wrong here. And not to get too exited here, other companies showed and deserved as much attention as their leading competitor. So take a good look inside your needs, and goals and chose the right string for your gigs. Live or recorded sets, these wires fully live up to their names.
The last thing we want to leave at your disposal are the video reviews of the two best string sets. Now warm up those fingers and get the party started!
Best Electric Guitar Strings – Video Reviews
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Nickel Wound Sets Review
Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Wound Set
Also check out our “Best Electronic Drum Set” in a recent review! Jam away!